Why Visit Belize
- Belize is a small country located in Central America. It is bordered by Mexico and Guatemala to the west and Caribbean Sea to the East.
- Despite being a relatively small country, Belize has an incredibly varied landscape. The mainland is crisscrossed with several rivers, waterways, lagoons and swamps. Home to some of the most pristine wetlands, pine forests and rainforests in the world, Belize has a very diverse ecosystem with a very diverse selection of flora and fauna.
- More than 35% of Belize’s landmass is set aside as a protected park or nature reserve, more than any other country in Central America. The famous Cockscomb Basin Nature Reserve stretches across more than 100,000 acres of rivers, mountains and jungles and is the only protected jaguar habitat on the planet.
- Named for the Cockscomb Basin located in south-central Belize that contains the eastern slopes of the Maya Mountains that rise up to 3,600 feet in height, the Cockscomb Basin Nature Reserve also encompasses several ruins of the once mighty Maya Empire. Once the heartland of the Maya people, modern Belize is home to ruined cities and other Maya sites scattered throughout the country. Some of the most popular Maya ruins for visitors to explore today are Lamanai and Altun Ha, located northwest of Belize City. Other important Maya sites include the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave system and the ruins of Lubaantun and Xunantunich.
Belize Destination Facts
- Population: 396,632
- Area: 122,965 km²
- Capital city: Belmopan
- Currency: Belize Dollar
- Climate: Belize has a tropical climate with pronounced wet and dry seasons, although there are significant variations in weather patterns by region. Temperatures vary according to elevation, proximity to the coast, and the moderating effects of the northeast trade winds off the Caribbean. Average temperatures in the coastal regions range from 24 °C (75.2 °F) in January to 27 °C (80.6 °F) in July. Temperatures are slightly higher inland, except for the southern highland plateaus, such as the Mountain Pine Ridge, where it is noticeably cooler year round. Overall, the seasons are marked more by differences in humidity and rainfall than in temperature.
- Time: GMT-6:00
- Neighboring countries: Mexico, Guatemala & Honduras.
Top 6 reasons to visit Belize
Belize is chock full of Maya Ruins
Islands And More Islands
Belize is in the tropics, and of course the weather is warm almost year round making for an ideal vacation
The Great Blue Hole
Wildlife & Rainforest